Follow us on Pinterest @imakefakecakes
Baby Blanket Material
When choosing a baby blanket material, you need to feel the fabric. There are several questions to ask yourself before you purchase any kind of material or fabric for the closeness of a baby's skin.
Let's look at some of the available types of fabric or material.
- Jersey Knit
What kind of baby blanket material do I need to purchase?
Well, let's look at the different types of textiles and see which is best suited.
- Cotton - This is the most popular fabric for a baby quilt. It is very durable, washable, dryable and stays soft and pliable. It can be a quality brand, a good quality brand and then the best quality brand. I like to use either the good or the best brands for the best sewing and quilting. Also, the good or best will last much longer. The thread count in the fabric is what you need to check. Some children may have allergies to some fabrics, so test it first.
- Minky - This fabric is very soft and plush. It is commonly used in baby quilts and blankets because of this. It is denser than cotton, therefore, is heavier and warmer. This fabric has multiple designs to choose from. It comes in solid colors as well as printed.
- Jersey Knit - This material is very breathable and easy to sew. Although it is stretchable, it is one that doesn't ravel on the ends. It is soft and is used in a variety of children's clothing such as pajamas. Many printed patterns to choose from along with solid colors. It wears great is a durable material.
- Fleece - This material is very reasonably prices as it is popular for sewing. It is warm for cooler weather choices for baby quilts. It is also very snuggly, which makes it a great choice for a baby or toddler. There are different types of fleece, but, if you want to choose the softest and easiest to sew, get the anti-pilled fleece. It is low maintenance and will not be messy with "shedding". It is a little more expensive than most types. The brushed fleece is also a good type to use as it is usually softer.
- Flannel - This fabric is usually a little stiff and scratchy until it is washed. It feels rough and is good for stuffed animals and such. It can be used for pajamas if it has been napped on one side and is a cotton type fabric.
- Felt - Felt is used mostly for projects. I would not recommend using felt on a baby quilt. It stretches when pulled and can pull apart very easily because of the fiber layout. It could, however, be used as a backing for a pillow or even for a stuffed animal.
To purchase any item on this website, please contact us through this page. Thank you for your interest in a Handmade Baby Quilt, Wreath, Diaper Cake or Towel Cake. Please come back again. We accept PayPal, local business checks or cash as payments.
Return from Baby Blanket Material to Handmade Baby Quilts home